David Avila is an associate in the Project Development & Finance practice.
His practice includes work on behalf of sponsors and lenders, including developers, equity investors, and investment banks and other financial institutions, in connection with various project finance, private equity, subordinated and mezzanine debt, private placement offerings, and other corporate transactions in the natural gas, renewable energy and infrastructure sectors in the U.S., South America and Africa.
- U.S. smart buildings technology company on a secured credit facility with a renewables-focused strategic lender, to finance the company’s energy savings and energy management equipment sale and installation business for corporate customers in the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico
- Albemarle Corporation as guarantor, and Albemarle Finance Company, Albemarle New Holding and Albemarle Wodgina as borrowers on a $1.2 billion unsecured syndicated credit facility to finance the acquisition of a 60% interest in certain assets comprising Mineral Resources Limited’s Wodgina lithium project in Western Australia
- Group of purchasers of private placement secured notes on the refinancing of the construction of the Longitudinal de la Sierra Norte Tramo 2 Toll Road Project in Peru, wherein the notes are secured by the securitized payment rights due from the Government of Peru to the concessionaire for the project, including negotiation of a purchase agreement for the underlying true sale transaction.The transaction is the first securitization of PAMPI (pago anual por mantenimiento periódico inicial) rights in Peru
- Syndicate of banks on a $250 million financing for the acquisition of three natural gas-fired electrical generating facilities, with a combined generating capacity of approximately 523 MW, located in California
- U.S. sponsor on the development, financing and equity raise for a 700 MW gas-fired power project in Indiana. The debt package is comprised of $395 million in term debt, $72 million in letters of credit and $15 million in revolving credit facilities*
- U.S. lender on a $72 million secured loan facility to a group of 17 telecommunications borrowers located in five African and Asian countries*
- Two affiliated natural gas pipeline companies on the aggregate offerings of $250 million of senior high yield and $230 million of senior investment grade notes, and in related cash tender offers and consent solicitations with respect to their then-existing notes*
- Multinational company on its purchase and investment in a 50 MW wind farm in Uruguay, from a French independent renewable energy power producer, as well as in in the negotiation and closing of the project’s non-recourse project financing, including a $72 million construction and term-loan facility from a German lender, and a shared facilities arrangement with the related wind project*
- U.S. sponsor on the development, debt financing, hedge financing and equity raise for an 869 MW natural gas-fired electric power plant being built in the City of Oregon, Ohio (“North American Single-Asset Power Deal of the Year” (2014) by IJGlobal)*
- U.S. investment firm on a US$56 million construction loan facility to a U.S. solar power plant developer*
*Denotes prior firm experience
American University Washington College of Law
J.D., cum laude
- Member, American University International Law Review