Adrien Compain is an associate in the International Arbitration practice.
His experience includes commercial arbitrations, with a particular focus on construction disputes and arbitrations involving interests in Africa. He also advises and represents parties in post-award matters before French courts.
International arbitrations on which Adrien Compain has worked include the representation of:
- An international logistics company in an ICC arbitration in Paris brought against the Port Authority of an African State. The dispute arises from a concession agreement related to the management and operation of a container terminal.
- An African transportation authority in an ICC arbitration initiated by two contractors. The dispute arises from a contract for the renovation of railway systems. The law of the Respondent’s State applies.
- A North African State-owned mining and chemicals company in relation to substantial claims for project delays, associated costs and alleged scope changes relating to the construction of two large scale chemical processing plants. The claims are subject to expert determination in accordance with the ICC administered expertise procedure.
- An African transportation company in an UNCITRAL arbitration against an Asian equipment manufacturer. The dispute arises from an agreement for the supply of passenger trailers. The law of the Claimant’s State applies.
- Sonatrach, Respondent in an ICC arbitration in Geneva brought by Saipem SpA and Saipem Contracting Algérie SpA. The dispute arose from a contract for the construction of gas liquefaction facilities. Over €2.6 billion was at stake. Algerian law applied.
- A European company in the aviation sector in a dispute with a provider subject to ICC arbitration. The dispute arises from an agreement for the supply of aircrafts’ components.
- A North African company, Respondent in an ICC arbitration in Geneva initiated by an Iberian contractor. The dispute related to a major infrastructure project in North Africa. The law of the Respondent’s State applied.
Post-awards matters on which Adrien Compain has worked include the representation of:
- The majority shareholders in the former Yukos Oil Company in proceedings initiated in multiple jurisdictions to seek the recognition and enforcement of the $50 billion award rendered in the arbitrations brought by the shareholders against the Russian Federation concerning the expropriation of their investments in Yukos.
Université de Nantes
Doctorat in Private Law, (with highest honors)
Université de Strasbourg
Master 2 in International Law, (with highest honors)
- Lecturer (International Arbitration), Université Paris II Panthéon – Assas (Magistère de Juriste d’Affaires – DJCE)
- Qualification of Maître de Conférences, Conseil National des Universités