Shaun Pereira is an associate in the International Arbitration practice.
He has advised and represented clients in arbitrations conducted under the ICC, SIAC, HKIAC, UNCITRAL and AAA-ICDR rules, in proceedings across the construction, energy and financial sectors.
Recent or pending arbitrations and litigations on which Shaun Pereira has worked include the representation of:
- A European company in a dispute with an Asian contractor arising from an EPC contract for the construction of a natural gas facility in the Middle East. The dispute is subject to ICC arbitration in Singapore. English law applies.
- Coordinating enforcement proceedings for a European company in connection with a judgment rendered by a court of a Middle Eastern State in a dispute with an Asian company arising from the supply of IT goods and services. The law of the Middle Eastern State applies.
- An Indonesian joint venture in a dispute with an Asian contractor arising from an EPC contract for the construction of a power plant in Indonesia. The contract provides for ICC arbitration in Geneva. Swiss law applies.
- A South East Asian company in a dispute with an EPC contractor arising out of a contract for the construction of a renewable power plant in Indonesia. The dispute is subject to ICC arbitration in Singapore. English law applies.
- An international consortium in an ICC arbitration in connection with a major infrastructure project in the Middle East. The law of the Middle Eastern State governs.
- An international consortium in a dispute arising in connection with the development of a power project in Indonesia. The relevant agreements are subject to SIAC arbitration in Singapore. English law governs.
- The operator of a major infrastructure project in an Asian state in connection with a Concession Agreement and EPC Contract, subject to ICC arbitration in Singapore. The law of the Asian State governs.
- The owner of a petrochemical plant in Thailand in connection with a dispute arising out of an EPC contract subject to ICC rules. Thai law governed.
- A NASDAQ-listed company and a South East Asian company, Respondents in a SIAC arbitration in Singapore. The dispute arose in connection with a Share Purchase Agreement governed by Mauritius law.
- The Asian founder and the majority shareholder of a NASDAQ listed company, Respondents in a UNCITRAL arbitration administered by the HKIAC in Hong Kong. The dispute arose from a shareholders agreement. New York law governed.
Singapore Management University
- Admitted only in Singapore, not admitted in New York
- Adjunct Faculty, Singapore Management University
- International Moot Court Program Coach, Singapore Management University
- “The Preemptive Case Management Stay”, Lloyd’s Maritime and Commercial Law Quarterly 24 (2019)
- “Deferred Challenges to Jurisdiction Under the Model Law”, 35(6) Journal of International Arbitration 719, (2018)
- “Incorporation of Arbitration Clauses by Reference”, 10 Asian International Arbitration Journal 1 (2014) (co-author)
- Contributor and Member of the editorial team, Singapore Law Blog (leading local blog on Singapore court decisions and legal news)
- “COVID-19: Mock Virtual Hearing on Key Procedural Issues,” YSIAC Webinar, 29 May 2020 (Moderator)
- “To Challenge or Not, and When:Complications and Issues in Dealing with Objections to an Arbitral Tribunal'sJurisdiction,” Singapore Management University (SMU), 10 May 2019
Before joining Shearman & Sterling, Shaun served as an Assistant Registrar and a Justices’ Law Clerk in the Supreme Court of Singapore.