Matthew Rogier is a senior associate in the International Arbitration practice.
He has experience in construction and business combination disputes under ICC and DIS Rules, in the power, chemical, mining and telecom sectors, as well as in multi-jurisdictional post-award matters.
Recent or pending arbitrations on which Matthew Rogier has worked include the representation of:
- A European life sciences company, Respondent in an arbitration brought by a European chemical company seeking indemnification under a Share Purchase Agreement. The law of the Claimant’s State applied.
- The majority shareholders in the former Yukos Oil Company in proceedings initiated in multiple jurisdictions to seek the recognition and enforcement of the $50 billion awards rendered in the arbitrations brought by the shareholders against the Russian Federation concerning the expropriation of their investments in Yukos.
- A French-German consortium in an ICC arbitration in Stockholm against a Finnish utility company. The dispute arises from an agreement for the construction of a nuclear power plant in Finland. Finnish law governs and the language of the proceedings is English. Over €6.1 billion is at stake.
- Thirteen financial investment companies and two individuals, Claimants in an ICC arbitration in Paris against a major European telecommunications company. The dispute related to the revision and breach of a settlement agreement that was previously entered into by the parties in relation to multiple claims brought in several litigation proceedings. Brazilian law applied. Over $15 billion was at stake.
Duke University School of Law
Institut d’études politiques de Paris (Sciences Po)
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York