Benjamin Siino is a partner in the International Arbitration and Public International Law practices.
His experience includes international ad hoc arbitrations, including under UNCITRAL Rules, and institutional arbitrations under the Rules of the ICC and ICSID, with a strong focus on energy, investment and general commercial arbitrations, as well as arbitrations related to Africa.
Benjamin Siino also acts as counsel in litigation proceedings before French courts, with a focus on proceedings to seek the recognition and enforcement of arbitral awards and foreign judgments.
Benjamin is featured in Who’s Who Legal: Arbitration – Future Leaders 2020. The publication, which is based upon an independent survey of general counsel and private practice lawyers worldwide, profiles the foremost practitioners in the global arbitration community aged 45 and under. It notes that Benjamin “has great advocacy skills” and that he is considered as “one of the best French experts in enforcement of arbitral awards”.
- The People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria, in two investment treaty arbitrations. The first one was a UNCITRAL arbitration initiated by Orascom Telecom Holdings. The dispute arose from alleged breaches of the Algeria-Egypt bilateral investment treaty in relation to the operation of a mobile telephone company in Algeria. Over $16 billion was at stake. The second one was an ICSID arbitration initiated by Orascom TMT Investments S.à.r.l. (formerly known as Weather Investments II S.à r.l.) (ICSID Case No. ARB/12/35). The dispute related to alleged breaches of the Algeria-Belgium-Luxembourg bilateral investment treaty in relation to the operation of a mobile telephone company in Algeria. Over $4 billion was at stake.
- Ukraine, Respondent in a UNCITRAL arbitration brought by PJSC Gazprom. The dispute concerned the enforcement of a fine issued by the Anti-Monopoly Committee of Ukraine in relation to Gazprom’s breaches of Ukraine’s Competition Law in the performance of a gas transit contract. The claims were brought under the Ukraine-Russian Federation bilateral investment treaty.
- Port operator Togo Terminal, Claimant in an ICSID arbitration brought against the Republic of Togo (ICSID Case No. ARB/18/16). The dispute relates to a concession agreement.
- An African transportation company in a UNCITRAL arbitration against an Asian equipment manufacturer. The dispute arises from an agreement for the supply of passenger trailers. The law of the Claimant’s State applies.
- An international logistics company in an ICC arbitration in Paris brought against the Port Authority of an African State. The dispute arises from a concession agreement related to the management and operation of a container terminal.
- An international logistics company and port operator in two ad hoc arbitrations arising from the breach of a concession agreement and a framework agreement. The first arbitration was brought against the port authority of an African State. The second arbitration was brought against the same port authority and the State.
- Sonatrach, Respondent in an ICC arbitration in Geneva initiated by Spanish company Repsol and its Asian partners in relation to the performance of a production-sharing agreement. Algerian law applied.
Enforcement and setting-aside proceedings
- The majority shareholders in the former Yukos Oil Company in proceedings initiated in multiple jurisdictions to seek the recognition and enforcement of the $50 billion awards rendered in the arbitrations brought by the shareholders against the Russian Federation concerning the expropriation of their investments in Yukos.
- A Latin American State-owned entity in proceedings before French courts related to the attachment of its bank accounts by a creditor of the State.
- An Asian company in the environmental technology and services in proceedings before the Paris Court of Appeal initiated by a Middle Eastern State to seek the partial annulment of an ICC Award rendered in a construction arbitration.
- An agency of an Eastern European State as applicant in proceedings to request the setting aside of arbitral awards rendered in a construction dispute.
- An international tobacco company in proceedings initiated before the Paris Court of Appeal to seek the annulment of an award rendered in an ICC arbitration. The underlying dispute arose out of the performance of a joint venture and license agreement executed between two international tobacco companies.
- A European aircraft manufacturer in a dispute before French commercial courts against a component supplier. The dispute arises from the termination of their commercial relationship. French law applies.
- A French global specialist in energy management in a dispute before French commercial courts. The dispute arose from the distribution of dividends. French law applies.
- A French company in the nuclear sector in a dispute before the French Courts. The dispute arose from the cancellation of the employees’ savings plan.
Institut des Hautes Études Internationales (Panthéon-Assas)
Certificat de recherches approfondies (CRA)
Université Paris II Panthéon-Assas
D.E.A. in Public International Law (hons)
Maîtrise in Public International Law (hons)
- Member, Comité Français de l’Arbitrage (CFA)
- Board member, CFA-40
- Member, International Arbitration Institute (IAI)
- Member, LCIA European Users’ Council
- Research Assistant and Co-Team Leader, New York Convention Guide Project (www.newyorkconvention1958.org)
- “Arbitrage et compliance : au coeur de la lutte contre la corruption en matière civile et commerciale [Arbitration and compliance: two systems at the heart of the fight against corruption],” 2019(6) Revue Internationale de la Compliance et de l’Ethique des Affaires 7 (December 2019) (Co-author)
- “Enforcement under the New York Convention,” in The Guide to Challenging and Enforcing Arbitration Awards 86 (E. Gaillard and G. Kaiser eds., GAR publication, 2019) (Co-author)
- “L’immunité d’exécution dans la Loi Sapin II après l’arrêt Commisimpex du 10 janvier 2018 [Immunity from execution and the Sapin II Law after the 10 January 2018 decision in Commisimpex],” 2018(1) Les Cahiers de l’Arbitrage / The Paris Journal of International Arbitration 65 (Co-author)
- “L’efficacité de la convention de New York de 1958 [The efficiency of the 1958 New York Convention],” in L’exécution des sentences arbitrales internationales 87 (M. de Fontmichel and J. Jourdan-Marques eds., LGDJ, 2017)
- “Le Guide du Secrétariat de la CNUDCI sur la Convention de New York pour la reconnaissance et l’exécution des sentences arbitrales étrangères [The UNCITRAL Secretariat Guide on the Convention for the Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards],” in Conference for a Euro-Mediterranean Community of International Arbitration / Conférence pour une communauté euro-méditerranéenne de l’arbitrage international 21 (UNCITRAL Publ. No. V. 15-06738, 2015)
- “La réparation par le juge d’appui de la clause prévoyant une parité d’arbitres : interprétation extensive de l’article 1454 du Code de procédure civile [Intervention of the judge acting in support of the arbitral process: broad interpretation of Article 1454 of the French Code of Civil Procedure],” 2009(3) Revue de l’arbitrage 521 (Co-author)
- “La consolidation de la place de l’estoppel dans le contrôle des sentences arbitrales [The increasing recognition of the estoppel principle in the review of arbitral awards],” 2008(2) Revue de l’arbitrage 325 (Co-author)
- “Le monde de l’arbitrage doit-il se soucier des parties faibles ou impécunieuses?,” Ordre des Avocats de Paris and European Court of Arbitration Colloquium, La protection de la partie faible et de la partie impécunieuse dans l’arbitrage, Paris (18 December 2019)
- “Overview of available tools for asset tracing and recovery in the context of enforcement of contracts, arbitral awards and judgments,” UNCITRAL Colloquium on Civil Asset Tracing and Recovery, Vienna (6 December 2019)
- “The Creation of New Arbitration Centres Throughout the World and Their Limits,” 13th graduation ceremony of the MACI (Master of Arbitration and International Business Law of the University of Versailles), Paris (17 October 2019)
- “National court’s discretion to enforce an award that has been annulled at the place of arbitration,” IV Eastern European Dispute Resolution Forum (EEDRF), Minsk (20 September 2019)
- “Grounds for revising an award: procedural fraud from an investment arbitration perspective,” 34th Annual Joint Symposium of Arbitrators, Paris (14 February 2019)
- “The New York Convention Guide and web platform,” Vilnius Arbitration Day 2018 - 60 years of the New York Convention: present and future challenges, Vilnius (19 October 2018)
- “Riconoscimento e esecuzione dei lodi stranieri in Francia e in Italia alla luce della recente giurisprudenza in materia nei due paesi. Profili comparatistici [Recognition and enforcement of foreign awards in France and in Italy in light of recent case law in those two countries. Comparative profiles],” Parigi Italia Arbitrato, Roma (9 October 2018)
- “The Yukos saga. Have you ever tried to enforce a 50 billion arbitral award annulled by a court in multiple other jurisdictions?,” ICDR Young & International conference, Arbitration War Stories, What they don’t teach you at Law School, Geneva (26 September 2018)
- “The UNCITRAL Secretariat Guide on the New York Convention and the newyorkconvention1958.org website,” Special seminar during the 2018 session of the Arbitration Academy, Paris (July 2018)
- “Flexibility and Evolution in the Interpretation of the New York Convention,” Celebrating 50th UNCITRAL and 60th New York Convention Anniversaries – Joint UNCITRAL, Federal Ministry of Justice of Nigeria and International Dispute Resolution Institute conference, Abuja (14 June 2018)
- “Is document production really necessary/useful in arbitration,” Third Co-Chairs’ Circle Global Conference, Rome (18 May 2018)
- “Les systèmes disponibles pour obtenir des mesures provisoires et conservatoires durant l’arbitrage et les mécanismes pour les faire exécuter. Regards croisés entre la France et l’Espagne,” IX Journées Franco-Espagnoles – Regards croisés sur la relation entre les juges et l’arbitrage, Madrid (2 February 2018)
- “L’efficacité de la Convention de New York,” Colloque de l’Université de Versailles St. Quentin-en-Yvelines, L’exécution des sentences arbitrales internationales, Paris (26 September 2016)
Before joining Shearman & Sterling, Benjamin practiced as an associate in the Dispute Resolution team of a French law firm, focusing on general commercial litigation and arbitration-related matters. He also worked as an Analyst consultant for the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) and for the French Ministry of Defence.